MMORPG Annoyances

A place to kick back with a drink and relax with fleetmates and guests. Water is not allowed...

Moderator: Command Staff

F9thIntercity125
Admiral
Admiral

MMORPG Annoyances

Post by F9thIntercity125 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:05 am

So, at this present time I have three MMORPG's on my computer: Star Trek Online, Star Wars The Old Republic and WarThunder. Guess what? None of them are working. STO gets stuck on updates. SWToR is stuck at 79% loading, and War Thunder just gets blocked by my ESET everytime it updates, requiring me to remake the rules.

Why on earth do companies make games like these?!

SideSwipe9th
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Re: MMORPG Annoyances

Post by SideSwipe9th » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:05 am

When it's one game, it can be even odds between the game screwing up and your computer. However when it's three from three different companies... ;)

F9thIntercity125
Admiral
Admiral

Post by F9thIntercity125 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:31 pm

STO - Just a very long update... kept freezing. Finally got it done.
SWToR - Loads are having this issue, It's now stuck on 91%
War Thunder - ESET is having issues with it, I know this, but everytime they update, they reset something which means I have to configure ESET all over again!

On a side note: I like the new STO colours!

Starfleet Headquarters
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Starfleet Headquarters » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:49 pm

Usually speaking game updates freezing are not the result of the company but of the particular route your traffic takes through the net. Depending on the route it can interfere/timeout with an update server and timeout. If its timeout or interference with the game update server usually speaking its the ISPs/networks fault your using. If this keeps happening in the middle of a file write operation usually it's aborted which means it would show no reduction in update size.

Having said that, and as much fun as STO can be at times, I really really do miss the old days of pac-man, command and conquer generals zero hour and Orion Pirates! :(
Starfleet Headquarters out.

9th Fleet, Vice Admiral -- USS Atlantis, Borg Tactical Cube

F9thIntercity125
Admiral
Admiral

Post by F9thIntercity125 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:23 pm

Starfleet Headquarters wrote: Having said that, and as much fun as STO can be at times, I really really do miss the old days of pac-man, command and conquer generals zero hour and Orion Pirates! :(
Amen to this part... I don't know about you guys, but I think I'd pick non MMO games over MMO anyday! Anyone here played Joust before? :P

The problem with Star Wars ToR is something to do with a corrupt fileset... apparently they do this every update xD
And perhaps the slow STO is down to an ISP issue. If it happens again I'll get in touch with them.

Ogre
Commander
Commander

Post by Ogre » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:25 pm

Wow all three of you are not using your updated sigs *evil grin* LoL.

I have found a couple of things that seem to help me when doing these types of things and being on sat I need all the help I can get. I usually first stop and restart my connection to my router...I find when I have downloaded in excess of 900 MB or more I start to have issues. Second I make sure I have enough room on my pagefile drive, I seem to have more issues when I have not burned off movies I have on there and get less than 10 GB free on the drive. And of course I have also run an optimizer on my thruput on the ISP as windows by default has terrible setting for any broadband.

Hope it helps.
@Elbourt
Freedream (Main), Nartok, Xip, Xybamk (Delta), Xylok, Xylos, Yodah
Naven, Neop (Main Klink), Neota, Xap, Xeenon (Delta), Xylea, Xylia
D'Tek (Main Rom), G'Kar, N'Dar, Xylan, Xylar, Xypher (Delta)

SideSwipe9th
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by SideSwipe9th » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:34 pm

Ogre wrote:Wow all three of you are not using your updated sigs *evil grin* LoL.
You've updated my signature? :? :P
Intercity125 wrote: I don't know about you guys, but I think I'd pick non MMO games over MMO anyday! Anyone here played Joust before?
Partially because of the insane heat (it was somehow hotter in Belfast, Northern Ireland last Friday than it was in both New York, Los Angeles, and Barcelona!), I've not played STO in about a week. The other part, I've been replaying Star Trek 25th Anniversary, Star Trek Judgement Rites, and Star Trek TNG: A Final Unity.

Starfleet Headquarters
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Starfleet Headquarters » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:59 pm

Intercity125 wrote: Amen to this part... I don't know about you guys, but I think I'd pick non MMO games over MMO anyday! Anyone here played Joust before? :P

The problem with Star Wars ToR is something to do with a corrupt fileset... apparently they do this every update xD
And perhaps the slow STO is down to an ISP issue. If it happens again I'll get in touch with them.
Problem is too though is non MMO games are wanting their continuous server connections and basically might as well be considered pseudo-MMOs, and usually are not nearly as re-playable as the oldie goodies. I cant even count the number of times I've replayed my old games compared to the new ones. The new ones are quite awesome, just not enough replay desirability.

I want the old system back.. a SP campaign, a MP setup, and a skirmish system, no required internet, no special goodies, no f2p, no p2w, no random number generator for goodie quality, just plain raw maximum instant fun and replay! :twisted: :twisted:

F9thIntercity125
Admiral
Admiral

Post by F9thIntercity125 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:11 pm

Starfleet Headquarters wrote:
I want the old system back.. a SP campaign, a MP setup, and a skirmish system, no required internet, no special goodies, no f2p, no p2w, no random number generator for goodie quality, just plain raw maximum instant fun and replay! :twisted: :twisted:

You may just get your wish sometime soon...

Ogre wrote:Wow all three of you are not using your updated sigs *evil grin* LoL.
And nor do I plan on using one. :mrgreen:

Starfleet Headquarters
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Starfleet Headquarters » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:18 pm

I certainly hope so, otherwise I might be forced to bring to bear the full power of this fully armed and operational battle station (yes I watched Star Wars last night) on these game developers....muhaha

SideSwipe9th
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by SideSwipe9th » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:40 pm

Starfleet Headquarters wrote:I want the old system back.. a SP campaign, a MP setup, and a skirmish system, no required internet, no special goodies, no f2p, no p2w, no random number generator for goodie quality, just plain raw maximum instant fun and replay! :twisted: :twisted:
Outside of indie games, and a couple of oddities like Double Fine Adventure I can't see this happening, unless there is some sort of dramatic change in the game industry. We've already seen with some of the details leading up to E3 that the next gen consoles are going to have n-hour re-activation requirements even for single player games. We've already seen activation limits on PC games (eg, Spore, Mass Effect), and increasing numbers of mainstream games have some sort of "always on" requirement (eg, SimCity, Assassins Creed series).

Of course, the major annoyance is that in almost all cases once you strap on that eyepatch you have a much more enjoyable gameplay experience, as these requirements are gone. This also doesn't just apply to games mind. The mandatory enforcement of HDCP on BluRay discs is a major annoyance for myself as it has a significant tendency to fail on my PC. Most recently I was unable to watch my Star Wars BluRays because the player had arbitrarily decided that my monitor with full HDCP support wasn't "good enough", and ironically it was faster to find and download a BRRip than it was to fix the issue. Not that I condone piracy mind, but I believe that any form of DRM must be transparent and painless to the end user in all situations. I think possibly the only one that fulfils that requirement at the moment is Steam.

F9thIntercity125
Admiral
Admiral

Post by F9thIntercity125 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:05 pm

You're right, I'm getting sick of these DRMs and everything. As much as I hate piracy etc, I sometimes have to pirate something, just because the original that I have bought just refuses to work. Latest one for me was Anno 1404. Because of a DRM issue, it would not install correctly. So I had to combine a torrented version with the demo version in order for me to play a game I bought. Worse: when contacting Ubisoft about this, they said to send the game back to them and they'd supply a new disk for £10.00 + P&P.

1. I only paid £6 for the game.
2. What the hell? They have a DRM error on the game, but we must pay for it?

Starfleet Headquarters
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Starfleet Headquarters » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:38 pm

Indeed, I don't mind the need to 'prove' you got a legit copy but I tire of companies thinking they can stop piracy. A CD key probably covers the majority of the player base for most games anyways, anything else is just extra companies are trying to max out that profit. While I never have had any issues making DRM work, at this rate, I'll be killed off completely to any new gaming and will just stick to the old games until Windows 900,000 breaks them haha.

Ogre
Commander
Commander

Post by Ogre » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:21 pm

Yes if you check the sig request thread the link to new format is there. I know Gadget wont use his he has already said so....but he was supposed to be updating his own...and I thought I was slow LoL. But anyway yes love all my old games....it is just to bad I dont have enough HD space to have them all installed at once.

Hope to see you all in game at some point.
@Elbourt
Freedream (Main), Nartok, Xip, Xybamk (Delta), Xylok, Xylos, Yodah
Naven, Neop (Main Klink), Neota, Xap, Xeenon (Delta), Xylea, Xylia
D'Tek (Main Rom), G'Kar, N'Dar, Xylan, Xylar, Xypher (Delta)

Starfleet Headquarters
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Starfleet Headquarters » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:52 pm

Ogre wrote:But anyway yes love all my old games....it is just to bad I dont have enough HD space to have them all installed at once.
Pretty much you just need to remove 1 of the 'newer' games and you'll get about enough space free for about 10 older games haha.

I dunno, I just tend to look at some of this stuff, and basically you get MMOs, usually close to 20GB monstrosities, riddled with bugs even in the prime areas people use (aka Colony invasion diplomats, Azure nebula spawning only bops or bugging out on various random rocks), at the very least fix the prime areas! The campaign or not so used areas I could understand, but they've had over 6 months to fix CI diplomats as an example). Barely any difficulty where the most challenging thing is No-Win & Hive Onslaught Elite, and even those are pretty easy to farm. It being a well played ST game is the main appeal..

Then I look as those pseudo-MMO games, games like SimCity, a very beautiful game indeed, very relaxing and awesome, then I notice how they released it, they weren't ready, still has bugs especially traffic related that would easily have showed in QA..

Then I look at the oldie games and realize the most pressing thing I gotta worry about there is making sure my supply drop zones aren't too close to the edge of the map so all the money crates land on the zone properly... loaded up again 7 hard AI vs me for a great challenge.. the choice becomes obvious what is better to play :P