The sport of Skeleton and myself..

A place to kick back with a drink and relax with fleetmates and guests. Water is not allowed...

Moderator: Command Staff

F9thBen
Lt. Commander - Retired
Lt. Commander - Retired

The sport of Skeleton and myself..

Post by F9thBen » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:37 am

Hey everyone, I don't know how many of you watch the Olympics (winter games) and know what the sport of skeleton is, but I thought all of my good friends here in the fleet should be among the first to know that I have successfully begun my journey into the sport.

A little about skeleton..

Skeleton is a fast winter sliding sport in which a person rides a small sled down a frozen track while lying face down, during which the rider experiences forces up to 5 g and reaches speeds over 130 km/h (80 mph). The sport was named from the bony appearance of the sled. It was added to the Olympic program for the 2002 Winter Olympics; previously, it had been in the Olympic program only in St. Moritz, Switzerland, in 1928 and 1948.

The skeleton originated in St. Moritz, Switzerland, as a spinoff of the popular British sport called Cresta sledding. Although skeleton "sliders" use equipment similar to that of Cresta "riders", the two sports are different: while skeleton is run on the same track used by bobsleds and luge, Cresta is run on Cresta-specific sledding tracks only. Skeleton sleds are steered using torque provided by the head and shoulders. The Cresta toboggan does not have a steering or braking mechanism, though Cresta riders use rakes on their boots in addition to shifting body weight to help steer and brake.

The sport of skeleton can be traced to 1882, when English soldiers constructed a toboggan track between the towns of Davos and Klosters. While toboggan tracks were not uncommon at the time, the added challenge of curves and bends in the Swiss track distinguished it from those of Canada and the United States.

(From Wikipedia)

And a YouTube video..
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_aSpFCjJvZg

The reason I am sharing this with you all, is because becoming a skeleton driver has been a dream of mine since I was a kid I aspire to one day compete in the Olympics for the United States. (my home country). This summer I will be attending an athletic combine where they will test my physical abilities and then either place me on the Olympic development team, or the club team. The reason I am telling you all this, is because the 9th is one of the best communities I've ever been apart of and you all are very supportive and kind. Plus, I'm not sure about our history but if I can achieve my goal, I'll be the first 9th Fleet Olympian! Anyway, thanks for reading this and I hope I can make all of you proud in the years to come!

Also, be sure to watch!
Last edited by F9thBen on Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|SIM Division Executive Officer|LT. George Anderson|USS Tenacity Chief Medical Officer|

F9thRyker
Captain
Captain

Re: The sport of Skeleton and myself..

Post by F9thRyker » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:14 am

That sounds awesome - look forward to seeing you in the Olympics!

Your a braver man than I, it sounds pretty dangerous...!
Rgds
F9thRyker

F9thIntercity125
Admiral
Admiral

Post by F9thIntercity125 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:48 pm

Wicked cool! I always liked watching Skeleton! Best of luck, and I for one will be cheering you on when you make it! Make sure you put a Ninth motif on your suit :mrgreen:

F9thBen
Lt. Commander - Retired
Lt. Commander - Retired

Post by F9thBen » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:04 pm

If possible I'm going to try and slap on our logo!
|SIM Division Executive Officer|LT. George Anderson|USS Tenacity Chief Medical Officer|

F9thIntercity125
Admiral
Admiral

Post by F9thIntercity125 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:11 pm

Trying to get a promotion are we? :P

Seriously though, I really hope you make it, and I am sure that all of us are behind you on this!

F9thBen
Lt. Commander - Retired
Lt. Commander - Retired

Post by F9thBen » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:51 pm

If anything I can put our logo on my sled. The suit is a little iffy because that's where sponsors go and that sort of thing. The sled is like a personal chalkboard essentially. Similar to what skateboarders do with stickers, we can do to our sleds!