Star Trek Discovery

A place to kick back with a drink and relax with fleetmates and guests. Water is not allowed...

Moderator: Command Staff

F9thSochin
Admiral - Retired

Re: Star Trek Discovery

Post by F9thSochin » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:17 pm

From looking at the trailer for The Orville I think its going to look a little lack luster.

SoongType
Captain
Captain

Post by SoongType » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:09 pm

Agreed, thought well its Seth McFarlane, gotta be at least a laugh in the trailer. looks bleh. Yknow he was in an epp of Enterprise?

"I am a scientist,I don't think I observe" MST3K "I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious" AE

SoongType
Captain
Captain

Post by SoongType » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:21 pm

The first two eps air tonight, I think they are:
The Vulcan Hello
Battle at the Binary Stars

I'm not paying for the exclusive cbs service but we do have a firestick that's hacked here at home and it usually produces new shows no matter where they come from. Iam hoping it's a good watch seeing as how Orville has been alright so far, be great if this was too or even better.

Edit*
=/\= the first epp will be on CBS at 8pm tonight =/\=
"I am a scientist,I don't think I observe" MST3K "I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious" AE

darksoulnld
Commander
Commander

Post by darksoulnld » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:37 pm

Here in Holland the first episode will air tomorrow on Netflix

SoongType
Captain
Captain

Post by SoongType » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:50 pm

Sweet, you going to watch it? I won't spoil anything either lol.

darksoulnld
Commander
Commander

Post by darksoulnld » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:08 am

Yes i'm going to watch it tonight

F9thIntercity125
Admiral
Admiral

Post by F9thIntercity125 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:52 pm

Watched the first two. Was not impressed on many counts.
As a Sci-Fi show, that was a 7/10 start, could do with improvement.
As a Star Trek show, that was a 4/10 start. Not really Trek like in many ways and way too many things out of place and just plain wrong.

SoongType
Captain
Captain

Post by SoongType » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:35 pm

The tech seems a little advanced for the time period, but I get it, they wanted to jazz it up for a modern approach, or at least keep the JJ "feel" of trek going. I had a few problems with it and I agree with your ratings EC. Iam still going to watch the series and see where it goes. Iam interested to see what the other characters will be like.

darksoulnld
Commander
Commander

Post by darksoulnld » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:38 pm

I also watched the shows.
Had some problems with the slow "klingons"
What i like was "it ain't a perfect world".
The tech i don't know for a old ship in the old eara...damn

And i'm still confused what they see in shields.
In the prison and in emergency they have...but for out side the ship...
But i will watch the episodes...it always better thane no series

SoongType
Captain
Captain

Post by SoongType » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:37 am

Lol, new trek better then no trek for sure, Hunt you planning on watching?

Hunt
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Hunt » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:01 am

Yeah, I watched the first couple episodes so far. It's ok, but it definitely does not take place in the prime universe. There were an awful lot of holes, the bridge of the Shenzou is on the bottom of the saucer? and has wrap around windows? Hopefully that trend doesn't continue with the Discovery. It's also a disappointment that we don't see the titular ship in the entire two hour pilot. The visual portrayal of the Klingons was a disappointment, what was with the hull armor made of Klingon corpses? I agree that the Klingon's diction was way too slow, almost like each syllable took a whole breath, but I was impressed that they thought to tie an obscure, non-canon reference like The Black Fleet in alongside Sto'Vo'Kor. The hybrid phaser/laser pistol was a neat prop, but it falls in along side the uniforms and the Klingon appearance as something that they didn't really need to change.

JJ's Kelvin timeline caught a lot of flack for rebooting the universe, but at least they tried to make things tie in visually, and they gave themselves the Alternate universe excuse, which is explicitly denied here.

The only reason we have CBS All Access at my house is because we can't afford cable anymore. Between Amazon Prime, Netflix, CBS AA, Hulu and Playstation Vue, we get almost everything we watched on Comcast at half the price.

SoongType
Captain
Captain

Post by SoongType » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:18 pm

One thing that I found odd was the whole retrieve the Klingon corpses deal, like I get that the ship was a burial ground artifact but throughout trek I always got the impression that when one died their body was a useless shell to be disposed of. Iam no expert on Klingons tho lol. Just seemed like the ripped off the reavers tying bodies to their ships from Firefly.

F9thIntercity125
Admiral
Admiral

Post by F9thIntercity125 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:23 am

I got a chance to watch some of this. I do not like like it, at all. But this latest episode seemed to be better in terms of Trek style. But only marginally. I cannot understand how this has been renewed for a second season.

SoongType
Captain
Captain

Post by SoongType » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:44 am

The more I watch the more I like it, a previous epp highlighted the crewmen a lil more then the main character which was a breath of fresh air but I'm not sold at all that this series is a Trek.

Hunt
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Hunt » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:01 am

Now that Micheal is being given a station on the bridge, I have a feeling the whole "Lower Decks" thing they talked about is out the window.